Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Frog and Toad Plant a Garden

My kids are loving this week's reading story, Frog and Toad: The Garden. And I have to say, I'm loving it too! We are learning a lot about how to plant a garden and what hard work it takes. Yesterday we did an activity that showed how a seed grew. The kids loved the "science" activity! :)


I don't know about ya'll, but I get Frog and Toad mixed up sometimes! They looked so similiar to me. I thought if I was having problems keeping them straight, some of my kids were surely having the same problem, so we made character maps of both Frog and Toad on our SmartBoard. This helped a TON. Plus, it didn't hurt that they got to write on the SmartBoard...who doesn't love that?!? :)


And later on in the week, I plan on discussing the differences between frogs and toads. I created a venn diagram for this. I've displayed it already in a classroom and the kids are really excited to be learning about frogs and toads. A 2nd grade teacher is letting us come to her classroom tomorrow to see tadpoles! We are loving amphibians! :)


2 comments:

  1. I am so excited to find another teacher on the same story that we are doing! And Frog and Toad are my FAVORITE stories in the whole series!
    I'll have to post some of the things we're doing too...maybe we can share :)
    Thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the flower diagram! AWESOME!

    Had to laugh because I can't keep Frog and Toad straight either. I think it makes my kiddos question my true allegiance to the Frog and Toad books. Ha!

    Alexandra
    http://thefirstgradesweetlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete